Shanda Plock

Bachelor of ArtsScripps College

MA in Art History and Museum Studies – University of Denver

Faculty Member at Regis University         2011 - present

Adjunct Faculty CCA                                  2008 – present

Adjunct Faculty RRCC                                2007 - 2013

Adjunct Faculty CCD                                  2005 - 2009

Co-Owner and Creator of Petite Artist     2004 - 2007

I consider myself one of the lucky ones – I teach what I love!  I have taught Art Appreciation and Art History for nearly ten years and I continue to grow as an instructor.  Prior to teaching, I worked in the Education Departments of the Denver Art Museum and the Museum of Outdoor Arts. I use my museum experience to teach Art History in a new way.  I have an emphasis in Asian Art, which I share in my classes, and I love to work with themes that are common all over the world.  For example I teach my students about three major world religions, Buddhism, Islam, and Christianity, by comparing art images from each. This is often one of the most significant lectures, since my classes are always extremely diverse.  Students learn through art that the world is much smaller than it seems.  My personal research involves Contemporary Chinese Art from the early 1990s as well as women in art.

I am very excited by new resources that are available on the web and I attempt to give my students more than one viewpoint when studying Art History.  My greatest achievement is guiding a student to see art all around them and to find something that speaks to them on a personal/ aesthetic level.  I often say that students do not have to love a work of art just because it is famous but they do need to learn how to look at art and speak in an intelligent way about what they see.  I am also all about having fun while learning – it is amazing how much faster you learn when you laugh!

.